The NGO Coordination Board Strategy Implementation Structure
This document provides an initial framework for the proposed Resource center, and contains strategic goals to be approved by the Program Coordinator before being implemented.
The resource center will be a physical and virtual facility that will provide information and research resources to members of the NGO community locally and internationally. It shall also contain academic papers and proposal projects from scholars and research institutions to facilitate dissemination of information to both the academia, and institutions or individuals seeking knowledge and information about various topics of interest to them, their community and other related projects in general.
The strategy document identified five strategic goals with a time horizon of nominally 1 year for an initial facility outlay and a five year capacity filling period.
- Become the leading source of information for NGO activities in the country.
- Strengthen NGO movement and interested groups and create cohesion between the users by providing sufficient information.
- Aggressively develop innovative new products and services for members based on web-based technologies, for search, information exchange and meeting individual institution’s goals.
- Engage with others to improve the undergraduate curriculum in NGO management and promote life-long learning for practitioners and donors.
- Impact societal issues by informing and educating the public and government in complex technical and social areas
To be the premier library and reference center serving Charitable and Non Government Organizations in the country and beyond.
Is to advance NGO practices in theory and practice, to maintain a high professional standard among the members and to serve society, particularly where these services can contribute to the public interest.
In order to achieve this vision and mission we need to deliver quality service that result in member satisfaction. Three enabling goals were approved that will be important in achieving the strategic goals. These enabling goals will help to sustain the RC beyond the inception stages, create expansion opportunities and open the RC to sustainable input from other stakeholders either directly or indirectly. It is important to note that these issues focus on revenue generation and creation, since information is equally as important as any other resource, users of certain facilities will be required to pay for the usage of these facilities to enable smooth running, re-stocking and regular updates of the material.
- Identification of alternative business models that will generate income to the RC, hence increasing its capacity and scope. The plan commits the initial outlay as the main cost center with the rest of funding to be sourced from different activities by the RC.
- Make membership in RC more inclusive.
- Improve the operational effectiveness of the RC.
Plans for communicating the strategy to NGO bodies, the academia, the donor community, stakeholders and membership at large will be provided in a separate document.
Objectives of the RC
- Provide and stock books that deal will all manner of NGO practices, areas of operation and related information.
- Stock periodicals (magazines, newsletters and newspapers), for news and NGO publication related sources.
- Stock research material from scholars, research institutions and NGO R&D departments on related issues and issues of interest to the visitors.
- Purchase audio and visual literature for general use or for the handicapped, in order to support their use.
- Provide internet services for visiting members to use as part of their research and browsing facilities.
- Keep a Photocopier, scanner, printer, telephone, fax and other office support equipment to aid users.